Tuesday 23 July 2013

Cashew cream

In my quest to find alternatives to everything... You know, just to mix it up... I discovered various recipes online for this bad boy.  Like every other recipe, I can't just do it the way it's written in other recipes, I came up with this based on what I learned, what I had in the kitchen and what I like.

Cashews are a great source of calcium and magnesium, which build and maintain healthy teeth and bones.  They're also a great source of omegas!  Cashew flesh is really soft making it a great nut to play with creating various textures of cashew milk and cream.  Unlike almonds, where if you didn't strain the meat out of your almond milk you'd end up with minuscule cashew pieces that land in the back of your throat and make you cough for several minutes... Cashew flesh blends up totally smooth.

Check out this recipe for vanilla cashew cream!  The texture ends up being similar to yogurt.

What you need:
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews (not roasted)
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 tbsp raw honey

Soak cashews in freshly boiled water for 30 minutes (cover cashews by about an extra inch of boiled water to account for absorption).  Strain out soaked cashews and add all ingredients to a blender.  Blend until smooth.
I would encourage you to play with this recipe!  You can add some orange juice and zest to the mix to create orange cashew cream, for example!

My favourite way to eat this is over fruit for dessert :-)

Bon appétit!
Talia

1 comment: