Sunday 24 March 2013

A little improv in the kitchen!

Sometimes when I cook something, I realize halfway through that I'm missing a key component to my meal. Actually, this happens quite a lot. Sometimes I can be pretty scattered when I'm running around between activities and I often leave the grocery store without an item... Sometimes it's the exact item that prompted me to go to the grocery store in the first place. Today, that item was maple syrup.......

So, there I am, halfway through making my strawberry-chocolate chip wheat and coconut flour pancakes and I remember that I'm out of maple syrup... Bowl of batter, 2 pancakes in the pan. In my world, this is almost a serious crisis!! How am I going to eat my pancakes!

This is when some of my best improvising happens. I start rummaging through the pantry... I have honey... Cinnamon... Pure vanilla extract... I have some more strawberries in the fridge leftover from the pancake batter. Into a pot! Delicious!!! Here's the recipe:

Honey/strawberry syrup:
2 strawberries chopped
2 drops pure vanilla extract
1 pinch cinnamon
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 pinch sea salt

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer. Press strawberries with a spoon to soften/release juices. Simmer for 5 minutes.

And just for fun! The pancake recipe:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup gelled chia seeds
1 tbsp raw honey
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large strawberries, puréed
1 and 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Bon appétit!
Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment