Wednesday 6 March 2013

Grain discovery series - Overnight.... Barley?

So if you've followed my blog... Or my Instagram at all it's very easy to see that I am quite fond of oats, in all their versatility. Fairly recently I discovered overnight oats and have enjoyed many an overnight oats breakfast. As I was wandering the aisles at Whole Foods looking for inspiration, as I often do, I found myself walking by the bulk barley and noticing its resemblance to rolled oats and I wondered: what would happen if I soak barley overnight oats style? As I'm a sucker for culinary adventure (well, adventure of any kind, really, but the culinary kind is the only applicable kind right now) I found myself leaving Whole Foods bag-of-Barley in tow.

From a nutritional perspective barley is a great way to get iron, protein, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorous and zinc. Like most grains, it's an excellent source of dietary fiber. It's also a great source of selenium which has antioxidant properties that assist thyroid function and prevent a range of illnesses (cancer and cardiovascular disease, to name a few)... and the cancer preventing, age-busting, heart health promoting, immune system regulating polysaccharide Beta Glucan.

Overnight barley:
1/2 cup hulled/pearled barley
1.5 cups milk of choice (I use almond)

I found barley needed more almond milk than I'm accustomed to using with oats. Garnish with the fruits, nuts, seeds and/or spices of your choice and leave in the fridge overnight. Super easy!!

Pictured with almond milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 pinch nutmeg, 1 tbsp flax meal and 1/2 banana.

Bon appétit!!
Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment