Sunday 3 March 2013

Grain discovery series - Millet

Welcome to the fourth entry of my grain discovery journey!

You may recognize millet from that sack of bird seed you used to drag to the local park as a kid to feed the chickadees... And you'd be right, same beast! I bet you didn't know you were basically feeding those chickadees dietary gold. Millet is rich in fiber, phosphorous, manganese, B vitamins, protein and magnesium. Magnesium is great for heart health and there is some evidence that it can reduce the severity of asthma and the frequency of migraines!! Millet, like quinoa and amaranth and the rest of the grains I'll be featuring are gluten-free. So eat up, my gluten intolerant friends... And everyone else!

The one downside of millet is that it is not as easily digestible as some other grains. That being said, the point of this series is not to introduce you to something you can replace wheat with and eat 6 times a day. Everything in moderation, there is a reason they say that!

I tried with all my might and wits to pop millet... They say it can be done! I tried many times and for all my efforts I ended up with a lot of burnt millet. Wasteful. So, I gave up and did this instead (and it was delicious)!

Ps. If you figure out how to pop millet, I'm dying to know the secret!!!!

Millet tabbouleh style:
1/2 cup millet
1 cup water
1/2 large English cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped radishes
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 pinch cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 sprig fresh mint
1/2 tsp parsley

Put millet and water in a pot and simmer until water is absorbed. While millet is cooking; whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, cayenne pepper flakes, parsley and garlic. Add mint leaves and press leaves against the side of the bowl to release juices, whisk. When millet is ready, put into a bowl and add the chopped vegetables, mix thoroughly.

Garnish with chèvre or feta and serve!

Bon appétit!
Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment