Sunday 27 October 2013

But How Do You Have the Time!?

... BUT HOW DO YOU HAVE THE TIME!?

This is a question I get a LOT.  People generally assume I either live in the kitchen or have a house elf. I assure you, neither of those is accurate.  You don't have to spend all day every day slaving in the kitchen to get three, healthy, square meals a day... this I promise you.

You want to know my secret??

Cook in batches.

Yup.  That's it.

As I probably spend only a handful of waking hours a week at home, I devote one hour or so per week on the weekend preparing some stuff for the week.  This generally includes:

1.  Cooking one cup of black rice
2.  Cooking one cup of quinoa
3.  Cooking one cup of steel cut oats
4.  Making coconut milk

These are some staples for me.  Admittedly, the steel cut oats are new as a recent visit with my friend/nutritionist opened my eyes to the fact that I wasn't eating enough carbs to support my level of physical activity (total duh moment...)... but all three have similar cooking times and instructions.  I cook them plain and garnish them appropriately for each meal.  There are so very many things you can make out of those 4 main ingredients.  All three can be used in breakfast for porridge by mixing in a little honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup (...or whatever seasoning you like in your porridge) and heated in a bowl in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  When it's heated you can add some fruit, nuts, seeds and enjoy!!  You can make salad with your quinoa.  You can make sushi, fried rice, etc out of your rice.  There are no shortage of options.
Quinoa Porridge
(coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, pinch sea salt, hemp hearts, chia seeds, strawberries)

No comments:

Post a Comment