Tuesday 15 October 2013

Crab Apple Cider!!

After a brief hiatus, not for me I've been plenty busy, but for my blog... We've returned with a classic, Canadian fall fan fav (say that 3x fast!).  Hot apple cider, with a little, very local twist!!  Crab apples!!!  Just wait, before you judge... I know crab apples in toronto were the height of annoying.  I remember plodding through tons of these as a kid on my way to elementary school... Feeling the squish under your new kicks and then walking around on the tile floors at school on sticky soles.  I blame this on that gross feeling I get in the pit of my very being when I step on anything that feels squishy.  Or maybe raising puppies. Either way, crab apples were a gross annoyance to a child.  You can't eat them, you can't play with them... What good are they to a kid?!

Maybe this apple cider will change your mind!  Crab apples not only give it a pleasant, almost citrusy note, but they give it an appealing pink colour!  It's super easy, super delicious and is the ultimate comfort on a rainy fall day!

What you need:
3:1 apples of your choice to crab apples
Water
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Raw honey

Cut apples into medium sized slices, put in a pot and add water, enough to cover the apples by an extra inch or so.  Bring to a boil.  Boil for 10 minutes and turn down to a simmer.  Add honey, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.  Simmer for 1 hour covered.  You can even add your own favourite spices at this point!

After 1 hour, remove lid and mash apples.  Re-cover and simmer for another hour.  Strain out apple flesh and enjoy!!  You can even use the leftover apple for apple sauce or in your favourite recipes calling for puréed apple!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment